Friday, July 23, 2010

Kajun Kwik Bites

OUT AND ABOUT

Kajun Kwik Bites
393 north Hwy 171
Moss Bluff, LA
337-660-9242

Monday to Saturday 11:00 AM to 8:00 PM $1 to $7
As the name implies this is a place to grab a quick bite. They have a drive thru and I utilized it. It was easier for me to call in and then pick up. Having to navigate the double doors is hard for me on my crutches. It is located in the Bronco Stop. Looking though the take out window I could see they had spruced up the space and had placed several flat screen TVs on the walls tuned to sports channels.

First pass was a Bar-B-Que Pistollete and a Who-Dat Burger. I experienced a slight disappointment. I like the filling stuffed in the pistollete. Is this becoming a lost art? This one consisted of a fried pistollete split open and filled with chopped beef. I can see you get more filling but I like the ratio of bread to filling you get in a stuffed one. Still the BBQ was good and satisfying. The name of the burger reflects this is also a sports grill. The stacked behemoth that is the Who-Dat contains two patties each with a slice of pepper jack cheese, two strips of bacon, three onion rings and some pickled JalapeƱo slices along with the normal fixings. The standout here was the thick sliced bacon done up crispy that added not only texture but a smoky note. The patties beefy and juicy with the onion rings and Jalapeno adding a nice kick, Nice Gestalt

The second time through was just some snacking items. I ordered Fried Chicken Livers, Fried Chicken Gizzards, and Boudin Balls. The livers were in a light coating allowing more liver flavor, a plus in my book. The gizzard coating was thicker with a little more spice. They were a bit chewy but edible. It is something that is endemic to gizzards. The boudin balls seemed to be a frozen product. The center was not quite hot and the rest mushy, not to my liking

Last run was a plate lunch. They do it on a day to day basis so I called in several times to see what they were cooking. Shrimp etouffee and sausage in red gravy gave me a good feeling. Stuff like I was raised up on. The day I went in it was Shrimp Fettuccine, side salad, garlic bread and a slice of pound cake. Small shrimp in a creamy and cheesy sauce saturated the pasta and proved very tasty. Good garlic bread and excellent pound cake rounded out the meal.

While not gourmet, the food here is delicious and served by the friendly staff with a smile. I would not hesitate to pass through again.



No comments: